--- shadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       private Department getDept() { return dept; }
>       private void setDept(Department department) {

*dingdingding*

Private, huh?

;)

> <s:textfield name="dept.deptName"
>              label="Dept Name"
>              value="dept.deptName"
>              size="10" />

If dept (the Department) is already loaded then the
value="dept.deptName" is not necessary; bean values
will be handled automagically... I don't know if this
is the problem, but as another response hinted at, I'd
remove it.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you put an
<s:property value="dept"/> in the JSP? You should get
a default Java toString (unless you've overridden it
:)

> Is the  id="save_dept_deptName" correct?

Yes; the id attribute is created from the form action
and the field name, AFAICT.

> Can you see anything that I'm doing wrong?

Unfortunately I still don't :/

d.