All the traces points me to this function on the xwork library
Since it contains an infinte loop it's promising ;)
Need to sleep now, I hope tomorrow to find someone else solution in my inbox :)

Thank you

public static Object translateVariables(char open, String expression, ValueStack stack, Class asType, ParsedValueEvaluator evaluator) {
        // deal with the "pure" expressions first!
        //expression = expression.trim();
        Object result = expression;

        while (true) {
            int start = expression.indexOf(open + "{");
            int length = expression.length();
            int x = start + 2;
            int end;
            char c;
            int count = 1;
            while (start != -1 && x < length && count != 0) {
                c = expression.charAt(x++);
                if (c == '{') {
                    count++;
                } else if (c == '}') {
                    count--;
            end = x - 1;

            if ((start != -1) && (end != -1) && (count == 0)) {
                String var = expression.substring(start + 2, end);

                Object o = stack.findValue(var, asType);
                if (evaluator != null) {
                        o = evaluator.evaluate(o);
                }

                String left = expression.substring(0, start);
                String right = expression.substring(end + 1);
                if (o != null) {
                    if (TextUtils.stringSet(left)) {
                        result = left + o;
                    } else {
                        result = o;
                    }

                    if (TextUtils.stringSet(right)) {
                        result = result + right;
                    }

                    expression = left + o + right;
                } else {
// the variable doesn't exist, so don't display anything
                    result = left + right;
                    expression = left + right;
                }
            } else {
                break;

return XWorkConverter.getInstance().convertValue (stack.getContext(), result, asType);

Ing. Andrea Vettori
Consulente per l'Information Technology