I would reduce your problem to a simple class that
does nothing but access only the HttpSession and see
if the problem still exists, then build up around that
until something blows up.

I would also consider using Spring's DI/IoC to inject
a user service object (generally not the same class as
a user itself) into the action rather than accessing
Spring's application context directly.

d.