Oops sorry! yes thats rite...
well my requirement was getting the equivalent of <%=
request.getParameter("paramname") %> in
struts2 using s2 tags alone and for that we have to look into parameters
object and not the request object. My understanding was tat since request
parameters wud be coming under the request object I have to get it from
there and so I was trying this in vain <s:property
value="#request['paramName']" />

Arup