You're probably right, whenever the Action is created, it's
initialized.  In struts 1, since the Actions didn't go away, any data
was retained.  This was usually the source of many, many bugs.  It's a
very rare condition when you want the data from one invocation of the
Action to carry forward to the next, especially since in a multiuser
system, it may not be the same user that hits the action twice in a
row.  So the second user would get the first users data.  In order to
help prevent these errors, the designers of Struts 2 made a conscious
decision to create the Action instances as needed.

So to emulate what you had in Struts 1, where everyone shares one pool
of data from the action, just put your list in the Application scope
(ServletContext) and retrieve it when you initialize your Action.

If you really only want this to allow each user to maintain their own
list (not like the Struts 1 implementation), you could put it in
Session scope instead.

  (*Chris*)