thanks for looking.  I pasted the full stack trace below.   I am not using
any home grown action code (yet). This is coming from the
DefaultActionSupport during the rendering stage.

com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.executeResult(DefaultActionInvocation.java:348)

Do I need to subclass and do something in the action.execute() code ?

here's the full trace

org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.loadResource(ResourceManagerImpl.java:458)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.getResource(ResourceManagerImpl.java:341)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.getTemplate(RuntimeInstance.java:831)
        at
org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.getTemplate(VelocityEngine.java:491)
        at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.VelocityResult.getTemplate(VelocityResult.java:221)
        at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.VelocityResult.doExecute(VelocityResult.java:150)
        at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.StrutsResultSupport.execute(StrutsResultSupport.java:178)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.executeResult(DefaultActionInvocation.java:348)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:253)
        at
org.apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxy.execute(StrutsActionProxy.java:50)
        at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.serviceAction(Dispatcher.java:504)
        at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher.doFilter(FilterDispatcher.java:419)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.FilterFilterChain.doFilter(FilterFilterChain.java:73)
        at
com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
        at
com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.FilterFilterChain.doFilter(FilterFilterChain.java:73)
        at
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(ActionContextCleanUp.java:99)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.FilterFilterChain.doFilter(FilterFilterChain.java:73)
        at
com.caucho.server.webapp.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:175)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletInvocation.service(ServletInvocation.java:240)
        at
com.caucho.server.http.HttpRequest.handleRequest(HttpRequest.java:263)
        at com.caucho.server.port.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:481)
        at com.caucho.util.ThreadPool$Item.runTasks(ThreadPool.java:685)
        at com.caucho.util.ThreadPool$Item.run(ThreadPool.java:607)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)