Yes technically one could do all this struts1 as well,

 but only the ease at which we can get it done... But not everything is
leveraged in struts1

 Take this for example,

         ------------------------
        |      ActionSupport     |
         ------------------------
                        ^

         ------------------------
        |CalculatorActionSupport |
         ------------------------

CRUPSwaption            CRUPSwap                CRUPCapFloor

The above three derive of CalculatorActionSupport,
where they support create, read, update and price actions  ( CRUP )

This flexibility in struts2 allows me to use the power OOP on server
side action methods.
Struts1 cannot do the same.

Sorry planned dates is wrong. I got confused.

https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW?report=com.sourcelabs.jira.pl
ugin.portlet.releases:releases-projecttab

My statement was based on some responses on the mailing list,
where announcements of releases after testing for GA happen to be
mentioned.