Dave,

I have to disagree with you on customizing the interceptors.
It is just sloppy to use a generic stack that calls every interceptor.
Important issues also get lost when you do that.

The true issue with Struts2 is the poor documentation.
Worst is the fact that some of the defaults just aren't smart.

I really wish there was a way to group actions for the purpose of applying
default stacks without being forced to define a namespace or overriding  the
default stack of an existing namespace.