I also have this:

<interceptors>
            <interceptor-stack name="emptyStack">
                <interceptor-ref name="empty"/>
            </interceptor-stack>
</interceptors>

<default-interceptor-ref name="emptyStack"/>

So:
1. I override the default stack.
2. I specify the exact interceptor(s) I need per action.

This is to avoid useless processing.
There is a fix in the work (a dtd fix) that will enable me to have a truely
empty stack.
Currently, the dtd forces you to define at least one interceptor whereas
there is no requirement to have an interceptor in a given stack.