Sorry, Dave,
    I apparently did not receive your response and thought that may I should
resubmit a more detailed description of the problem I was having.  I am
running TomCat 6.0 and the latest versions of the jre and jdk.  I have
successfully installed the tomcat plugin and have a tomcat server running in
eclipse.
I am importing the project into eclipse from the .war file with the j2ee
preview enabled for the target runtime environment.  I am then setting the
project properties as follows:
Java compiler level: 5.0
project facets: 5.0
Tomcat:
   Marked as a tomcat project.
   Context name: /Blank
   Subdirectory for web app root: /WebContent

I start the server, and the project builds successfully.
Am I missing a step?  I didn't do anything regarding classpath
configuration.