One thing that I see happening is, when I submit the form, the prepare method
of my action is called and my parameter (userId) is not null. Then the wait
page appears, and then the prepare method of my action is called a 2nd time
and now the userId parameter is null.

Why is the prepare method of my action being called twice? On a few random
occasions the prepare method is only called once and on those occasions it
appears to work fine...?