Are you using the OpenSessionInViewFilter?  If you aren't, you'll want to.

If you are doing that already, you may be trying to persist when you should
merge.  If you're using Hibernate's API directly, take advantage of
Hibernate's saveOrUpdate() method, rather than the JPA merge()/persiste()
methods.

Jim Kiley
Technical Consultant
Summa