yorlick kilroy wrote:
I'm sorry but I only just read about javassist now, as I had no idea what it
is nor does. How do I include it? do I just drop it in my lib folder like I
do with other Struts plugins? How do I use it? and what exactly does it do?

Yes, just drop the .jar into your WEB-INF/lib directory. http://www.csg.is.titech.ac.jp/~chiba/javassist/

I believe it's used by ognl, if present. "Javassist is a Java library providing means to manipulate the Java bytecode of an application. In this sense Javassist provides the support for structural reflection, i.e. the ability to change the implementation of a class at runtime." Basically if I understand it correctly, ognl2.7 can do some amount of "expression compilation" in such a way that less work is needed when those same (sub?) expressions are next evaluated.

I believe most of the benefits won't be realized until we jump through a number of hoops in our use of ognl that we've yet to implement in xwork2/struts2, but if this (possibly premature) "upgrade" actively slows down ognl evaluation, I'd like to know. (Since I swapped in these more recent ognl version in the project I'm currently developing, I'd really like to know if that was a step backwards.)

-Dale