I think you cann't expect Struts 2 to automatically remove an object just
because one of it's properties is set to null. Ok, in your case it's the
id-property but struts 2 (or better OGNL) doesn't know that.
So i don't think this is worth a feature request.
But here is the workaround i'd use:
use the prepare-Interceptor after params and set group to null if the ID is
null in the prepare method. That way the execute method stays a simple
"persist( user );return SUCCESS;".

/Stephan