Thanks very much for your reply.

The problem with this type of work around is that it completely messes up my
fiendish master plan. If it wasn't for those pesky objects with null values! :-P

You see, I've probably been a bit too clever for my own good, and for the first
time I've created a single action, a single service, and single dao to persist
objects submitted from multiple struts forms. I'm currently persisting about 20
domain objects this way, and this is the last issue I need to solve to get it
all working as desired.

This issue is a pretty common occurrence in my domain model, so I'd have to
write code to check for null values in many places for every domain object.
I've been thinking this problem would be best solved either in the struts/view
layer, or maybe the persistence layer. I'm spreading myself a bit thin trying
to work it out at both ends at the same time :-)

If you don't mind, I have one last question: You said:

"I think you cann't expect Struts 2 to automatically remove an object just
because one of it's properties is set to null."

This is pretty much what I was looking to do, except that I was hoping struts2
could automatically remove an object if *all* of it's properties were null, not
just one. Would your answer be the same given this minor difference?