cpanon wrote:
Hello
What is the best way to return simple text/html or an xml document from an
action?  Do I have to forward to a servlet and open an output stream and write
the stream?  Is there a simpler/better way?  tia.

I'm not sure what your asking but just recently I have added a property in my action which returns an HTML Table. All I had to do was add the escape property to my s:property tag like this:

<s:property escape="false" value="myTable" />

For another project I found that when I tried to write to the output stream the execute() method must return null. Otherwise I would get an error indicating the stream was closed when the Action was still trying to write to it.

Thirdly, I think there is a way to do XSL transformations in struts.xml. If this works the way I think it does then you could return XML by all your actions and use the XSL to transform it to whatever output you want. Nifty for multi-platform applications.

Does that help?

--Jim