David --

I would strongly discourage you from writing your own custom tags until you
discover there is not already one "in the box!"  Besides Struts 2, you still
have all the JSTL tags available as well.   If by "old school" you mean you
haven't looked around the available tags today, your best bet would be to
start looking.  Writing your own tags can be a pain in the rear.

Scott