Any suggestions on how to reduce the amount of struts logging?

928572663 wrote:
I have a log4j.xml file located in my /src directory in my webapp (Dynamic Web Project from eclipse ganymede).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/";>
   <appender name="stdout" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
      <layout class="org.apache.log4j.TTCCLayout" />
   </appender>

   <!-- log detail configuration -->
   <logger name="com.opensymphony.xwork2">
      <level value="error" />
      <appender-ref ref="stdout" />
   </logger>
   <logger name="org.apache.struts2">
      <level value="error" />
      <appender-ref ref="stdout" />
   </logger>
   <logger name="freemarker">
      <level value="warn" />
      <appender-ref ref="stdout" />
   </logger>
   <root>
      <level value="error" />
      <appender-ref ref="stdout" />
   </root>
</log4j:configuration>

I've got log4j.jar in my appserver's classpath. It looks like I'm getting everything in the stdout console - mostly DEBUG messages. As far as I can tell log4j is not filtering anything out.

-John

Martin Gainty wrote:
you'll need to be more specific about which categories of messages you want to log File? SMTP? JDBC? categories are listed: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/Appender.html

you'll also need to be specific about which level of messages you want and dont want http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/Category.html#setLevel

where ALL means everything including any/all messages you categorise as obnoxious
OFF turns off all logging
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/Level.html

Provide more specifics if you want specific help on operational characteristics, code and or environment for log4j

Martin ______________________________________________ Disclaimer and confidentiality note Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.