You can use this little snippet to get a connection:

        public Connection getConnection(String url, String driverClassName,
String
username, String password) throws SQLException {
                try {
                        Class.forName(driverClassName);
                } catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
                        throw new SQLException(e.getMessage());
                }
                if (username == null) {
                        return DriverManager.getConnection(url);
                }
                return DriverManager.getConnection(url, username, password);
        }

Personally I use hibernate with spring or guice to deal with all that
connection junk these days.