Hmm, I'm not sure I understand the question at all.

1) What version of struts are you in? Since you are referring to needing to
understand how to use Sessions I assume struts 2, since struts 1 would be
obvious, the action class has a request object you can get the session from.

2) What do you mean by 'im not using a action mapping class'?

In the case of using Sessions with Struts2 - by the way I would recommend
avoiding this - you can always implement SessionAware. Depends on what you want
to do but I have done things that don't require implementing SessionAware but
in that case I just need to have a user object out of the session. To do that I
create a base class...

public abstract class UserAwareBaseAction extends ActionSupport {

  private User     user;

.
.
.
public User getUser() {
    return user;
  }

  public void setUser(User user) {
    this.user = user;
  }

  /**
   *
   * Delegate to executeAction since this is an abstract class.
   *
   */
  public String execute() throws Exception {
      return executeAction();
  }

  public abstract String executeAction() throws Exception;
}

Now all my classes that need a user from the session can extend this class -
and implement executeAction() (instead of execute obviously) and have the user
available. The user is set in my spring configuration...

<beans  ...>

    <bean id="indexAction" class="com.daugherty.action.common.IndexAction"
scope="prototype" >
      <property name="user" ref="user" />
    </bean>
    <bean id="user" class="com.daugherty.entities.User" scope="session" />
</beans>

There is a "gotcha" to doing things this way. For instance in my login action I
cannot do something like:

User u = façade.login(username, password);
This.setUser(u);

You won't end up updating the object spring is storing for you. Instead you
would have to do a deep copy to the spring object...

User u = façade.login(username, password);
User springUser = this.getUser();
springUser.setUsername(u.getUsername());
.
.
.
And so on...