In my opinion this depends on the preferences of the developer and how he likes to organize his code.

I never used Spring much. In the past I could never get used to the XML configurations. I simply don't like it. I especially don't like it in EJB2. Up to now I never had time to check out the Spring annotations. What I do like are working function keys in Eclipse, esp. F3 + F4 :-)