I've tried, and reverted back for now, to using the
MessageStoreInterceptor with no success, the messages are still lost.
We've successfully used the MessageStoreInterceptor on non-portlet
applications.

Annoyingly, anything you input on the form is also lost, which will
cause much chagrin for end-users.

E.g.
           <action name="ItemView" class="com.msp.portlets.ItemAction">
                        <interceptor-ref name="portletDefaultStack"/>
                        <interceptor-ref name="messageStoreInterceptor">
                                <param
name="operationMode">RETRIEVE</param>
                        </interceptor-ref>

<result>/WEB-INF/jsp/welcome/admin/item.jsp</result>
                </action>

                <action name="ItemEdit"
class="com.msp.portlets.ItemAction"
                                method="editItem">
                        <interceptor-ref name="portletDefaultStack"/>
                        <interceptor-ref name="messageStoreInterceptor">
                                <param
name="operationMode">STORE</param>
                        </interceptor-ref>
                        <result type="redirectAction" name="success">
                                <param
name="actionName">ItemView</param>
                        </result>
                        <result type="redirectAction" name="input">
                                <param
name="actionName">ItemView</param>
                        </result>
                </action>