Ok thanks Dave, I have run standalone S2 from the SampleApplication that
comes with the source code and which runs fine. Yes, I have the devMode
turned on and tried removing it and it gave the same error.
Also am not using any logging of XWorks yet.

In my current application(existing S1), the PATH is like this

appContext/src/com/cec/struts1/actions/...

and WEB-INF is:
appContext/web/WEB-INF/...

So for S1, struts-config.xml always resolve the actions when I access as
http://localhost:8080/appContext/action.do

But strangely S2 can't access the S2 actions from
"appContext/src/com/cec/struts2/actions/"
when I try to access like this

http://localhost:8080/appContext/someAction.action

Also I can use and execute the S2 tags in existing S1 jsp pages. So its
confusing....