Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like a fundamental class mismatch.

I can see in struts-default.xml that both Sets and Collections are configured to be accessed by the same PropertyAccessor.

From debugging, I can see OGNL picks the PropertyAccessor for Collections to deal with my target property. Logical, since the ArrayList is an implementation of Collection.

The problem is that struts has registered XWorkCollectionPropertyAccessor as the PropertyAccessor for Collections, but this extends ognl.SetPropertyAccessor which tries to cast the property to java.util.Set with the resulting ClassCastException.

I noticed in an xwork jira that this seems to have happened before:

http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-310

but that's fixed - unfortunately not helping me though.

I can work around this by copying XWorkCollectionPropertyAccessor and writing a method to deal with Collections rather than Sets, but this is surely a bug. I'm just wondering why no-one else is suffering with it.