More bad news to report.

My fix for the XWorkCollectionPropertyAccessor allowed OGNL to handle the list as a collection. That was simple and good but short-sighted in hindsight.

The property being set on the entity bean is a list with indexed access, and for that it needs the XWorkListPropertyAccessor. So OGNL immediately blew up again with a 'property not found' error because it was expecting a string, rejecting the integer index.

Unfortunately OGNL is never going to invoke the List property accessor for the proxied list property at this point because /this OpenJPA proxy class only implements Collection/.

I have still to ascertain how the OpenJPA proxying works. Obviously somewhere along the line in the normal state of play, the OpenJPA proxy can morph back into a List somehow.

These OpenJPA proxies are created via Java 6 class redefinition. There are other ways of enhancing OpenJPA entities which I'll try if time allows.