escape(document.form.select.value)>
 <s:select
   label="select"
   name="select"
   id="select"
   list="#{'username1':'trillian',
    'username2':'zaphod'}"
    value="%{#select}"/>

   <s:submit theme="simple" type="submit" value="submit" id="button"
onclick="submitForm();" onMouseUp="submitForm();"/>
</form>

OGNL and JSTL use back end (Bean) objects to store and retrieve <attributes of>
back end objects
your submit tag can call JavaScript which will construct a url variable as
illustrated here
just be sure to assign document.form.action=url before submitting as seen in
submitForm()

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.