I found I had to use the <s:set> tag to set the object in the request scope before displaytag could "see" it, since displaytag doesn't know about the Value Stack (maybe it should?). Confusingly, displaytag gives you that message if it can't see the variable you're referencing, as well as if the variable is empty.

eg. <s:set name="items" value="items" scope="request"/>