I wouldn't put Java in my HTML any more than I would use println statements
in a Servlet to generate HTML.  Scriplets are dead and should be left to
rest in peace.

If you can't find a way to do what you need with either the JSTL or Struts
taglibs, I would suggest writing your own custom tag, it's fairly
straightforward and totally reusable (unlike a Scriplet).
  (*Chris*)