On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:52 AM, alee amin
<mailing.list.mail...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> *One question that i asked earlier, going to ask again here. *
>
> integrating spring in struts through spring plugin, does not mean that you
> have struts as your base framework and then adding spring as one part of it?
> in my knowledge, spring is the base framework and other are added on top of
> it.

[...]

I don't really think of it as a one-framework-or-the-other kind of
setup. IMO, you really just have to know both. I use Struts for
building the UI and integrating with the business logic. The business
logic might include writing data to a database, calling remote web
services, etc. Struts doesn't really care about things like database
integration. Struts is built to deal with POJOs and assumes that your
business logic will be easily introspected (which is good design).
Spring fits in quite nicely to glue together the business logic and
turn it into easy to maintain POJOs. Things like JDBC or JPA
integration become quite a bit easier with Spring. So, I see my
applications like this -

User Interface ------> Business Logic --------> Backend Systems
Struts ------> Spring --------> Database/Web Service/whatever

Struts makes building the UI easy (if the business logic code is based
on simple beans). Spring makes it easy to build business logic code
that is based on beans. So, I don't know if that really answers your
question, but I will say that I prefer to know both pretty well. I
have looked at Spring MVC and it seems like the one attraction is how
well it is integrated with Spring Core. I prefer the tag library and
flexibility of Struts over it and with the Spring Plugin, the
integration between Struts & Spring is quite good.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice