Hi Scott

to recap a very well known Opensource Database provider who generate revenue
off customisations of a FOSS DB
http://www.mysql.com
unfortunately this particular opensource database because of <unforeseen
factors> founders Scott McNealy and Bill Joy's have seen their revenues fallen
dramatically in the last 2 years
the end result was the parent which took on <a FOSS entity losing money> forced
the parent entiry to look for rescuer (fortunately the most profitable database
corporation on the planet saw their planet and threw a lifeline)

In a robust economy opensource works great..freebie core modules are being
developed by engineers on their off-hours while customisations to code to
paying clients keep the lights on and food on the table
BUT in a down economy everybody wants free
personally i would be able to justify if we're <re>training the graveyard shift
at local GM plant that was just closed..
on the other hand we've seen new engineers that work for the world's leading
tech companies (supposedly american company that was started by Thomas Watson
in NY some 75 years ago) saying they were just hired (on the other side of the
planet) and demand(not request) a free solution from one of the unemployed
masses here?

FOSS
the most comprehensive definition of FOSS is available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open_source_software as
"Free and open source software, also F/OSS, FOSS, or FLOSS (free/libre/open
source software) is software which is liberally licensed to grant the right of
users to study, change, and improve its design through the availability of its
source code.
This approach has gained both momentum and acceptance as the potential
benefits have been increasingly recognized by both individuals and
corporate players"

Individuals benefit because cost of entry to the market is 0..there is a steep
learning curve but for those with
lots of time and a computer you can learn how a FOSS project works in a year or
2
Corporate Players only benefit when there are customisations provided to paying
clients. An example is if you have 2mill code..1mill in free core ..the
remainder is your customisation money-maker..but how do you enforce getting
paid for customisations or new features and functions when most of the people
demanding free are outside your borders..

thats why I think a rock-solid SSL secure site for pre-paid training modules
would work best..there is no need to worry about revenue because
1)it was a small amount of money to begin with
2)you have already collected the money meaning no opportunity for
man-in-the-middle rerouting of funds
http://www.blackboard.com/Commerce-Security/Transact-Resources/Whats-New/Release-3.aspx

whats your take?
Martin Gainty
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger
sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung
oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem
Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung.
Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung
fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.