Hi Robin, see comments inline:

On Today at 7:25pm, RM=>Robin Mannering <ro...@mtndesigns.co.uk> wrote:

RM> [..snip..]
RM>
RM> Can I just ask two further small questions to Haroon?
RM>
RM> Is the EJBInvokerServlet set to initialise at app startup via the
RM> web.xml definition?

Nope. Its not mentioned anywhere else in the app. Its just packaged in
the .war file (which is inside the .ear). Glassfish "does the right thing"
when it sees a servlet marked with the @EJB annotations. You can use the
Glassfish Admin Console (usually http://localhost:4848/):
  Application Server -> General tab -> JNDI Browsing
and you should find your EJBs under the ejb tree (the path to JNDI
browsing is from memory).

Dunno. We have only done @Stateless.

RM> Again, thank you for the time and effort everyone has gone through in
RM> providing ideas and solutions to this problem.  It is good to know
RM> that this kind of expert help is available via the forum.
RM>
RM> Many thanks, Robin

Cheers,
--
Haroon Rafique