I believe I understand what you are trying to accomplish:
Ignoring the details (dojo, struts <html:form>, etc) for now... at a
high level, you want to render a page containing a list of items.  You
want to enable a user to get low-level details on any one of those
items.
So far so good?
While there are plenty of ways to accomplish this, I don't want to
confuse you further so I'll only cover the simplest scenario:
Assuming each of these items has single unique identifier that can be
used to retrieve the details (your "change number"?) and a single simple
small description that will give the use a clue what that item refers to
(your "description"?)...

You want two pages:

*
        one that will render the entire list of items (but only this
simple small description for each item)
*
        one that will render all the low-level details for only one item

You want two different DAO methods:

*
        one that retrieves a List of all items' change number and
description.
*
        one that retrieves one item's details (description, creation
date, user, workspace...) given the item's change number

You want two struts actions:

*
        one that calls the DAO's list method, puts the List into the
httprequest, and renders the list page
*
        one that calls the DAO's details method, puts those details into
a single object and puts that object into the httprequest, and renders
the details page

On the list page: create a <form> whose action points to the struts
details action.
Create a <select> element, and populate its options from the list in the
http request.
Make each <option>'s value = the item's change number
Make each <option>'s text = the item's description.
On the details page, render attributes of the details object (found in
the http request).

If you follow this approach, chances are any problem you run into will
be one that can be described in a clear and concise manner.  Once you
get this working correctly, you have the building blocks to do more
advanced things like ajax interactions.  But if you don't have a firm
grasp on the basics you'll only end up frustrating yourself and wasting
a lot your time.

Good luck,
-dave