One quick solution might be , which I am using but most of them may not agree
with me,

-- Delcare a string in the action which take the value enter in the text
box.
-- Add the validation in the validation.xml as a regular expression and can
add as "requiredString" , if the filed is mandatory to enter.
-- The regular expression will check the format of the date.
-- once validation passes can convert the string to date throught the util.

Its an alternate solution.

- Siddiq.