I have a related question, but it's a bit of a side-track as I try to solve
my original problem.

What is the naming convention and the difference between the two types of
-validation.xml file naming?

I think I understand that ActionClass-validation.xml is called for all
(non-excluded) methods in the Action.

The documentation on the other method is very scarce and difficult to
understand. It suggests that the name should be
ActionClass-ActionAlias-validation.xml, however it isn't really clear what
"ActionAlias" really means.

In my case, my action class is called ScheduleDetail. The form that invokes
the update is coded as follows :

<s:form action="ScheduleDetail_update">

So, my understanding is that if I want validation ONLY for this method, the
naming convention should be:

ScheduleDetail-ScheduleDetail_update-validation.xml

Is this correct?

I've tried ScheduleDetail-validation.xml just to use the basic naming
definition, but it doesn't seem to get invoked. The messages that I have
defined in the file are never presented, I am seeing what I think are
generic struts error messages for type conversion errors (I'm trying to
force failure by entering a string in an int field).