Hi Mark,
i don't know the details, but in general when You was redirecting to
L1 or Ln You had the knowlegde about requested page P, so just
redirect to this centralized solution but store two things, what was
requested (page P and maybe also parameters) and some identificator of
a user (session or cookie).
When user will come back and You will check if he is authenticated by
central security app.
If he is You will be abble to redirect him back to page P based on
user identificator and original request.

As for the safety of all steps, You should be given secure way of
asking if a user is authenticated by this central security application
and a secure way of sending users to this central app - in other words
You should not reinvent the weel.

Best greetings,
Paweł Wielgus.