It's being called twice because, since you defined it as scope=singleton,
Spring is creating a singleton instance for you automatically on start-up.
Then your code is creating another instance in your getStartupService()
method.  You don't need to explicitly instantiate one, just let Spring
inject it where you need it.
  (*Chris*)