Are you intending for these values to come from your application resource
bundle?  That's where getText() gets it's values from.  I believe it it
doesn't find anything it just returns whatever is passed to is, which might
be why you're seeing what I expect you are expecting.

If you are actually trying to test this out with static values (or use
static values), try this instead (note the embedded single quotes within the
double quoted, maybe cutting-n-pasting would work best)

<s:param name="helpTitle"  value="'example1'"/>
<s:param name="helpText" value="'example2'"/>

All right, I found the trick.

Workable solution:
<s:param name="helpTitle"  value="%{'example1'}"/>
<s:param name="helpText"   value="%{'example2'}"/>

Thank you for all your help! Very helpful!

--
Lu Ying