The theme is set to simple as was for struts 2.0.11
My struts.xml is very plain and i don't see it would help with this particular
issue.

My jsp contains the following

<s:actionmessage theme="simple"/>
<s:actionerror theme="simple"/>

The revised templates were overriding the jar templates in 2.0.11 just not in
2.2.1 - no code changes have been made so it must be something in how latest
struts2 is working.

Looking at the templates for action message/errors in latest jar - they have
additonal text regarding parameters etc.. i wondered if maybe the amended
templates are now invalid in some
way and so it reverts back to templates in jar file - no errors are logged
though.

My action error template contains the following

<#if (actionErrors?exists && actionErrors?size > 0)>
center">
<#list actionErrors as error>
</#list>
</#if>