On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Eric Lentz <eric.le...@sherwin.com> wrote:
> @Dave>> The page displays the list--how could you not need it?
> Right, during display I need it. During *SAVE* I do not need it. During
> the save is when Struts is demanding it (incorrectly I feel).

If there's a validation error, the input page will be displayed.

If the input page is being displayed, the JSP references the list.

If the JSP references the list, it's needed.

If the JSP page isn't being displayed, you cannot get the error
message your getting.

> If the "standard" validations are this temperamental, then rolling my own
> seems better.

I still don't understand your point of view. There's nothing remotely
temperamental or buggish about the behavior you're seeing, as I
understand your description.

> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. The only thing I'm left
> wondering is if I should log a bug with the Struts team. Something seems
> wrong here. The framework should not suddenly cause a page to start
> failing just because I add a validation XML file. If I have validation
> errors, that's another story, but if I don't, then there should be no net
> difference, right?

If there's no validation error you cannot see the message you're
seeing. The message you're seeing is from a JSP tag that cannot find a
collection its referencing.

Dave