>It's not going to execute the JSP unless there's a reason to.
>Something's sending it back to the JSP. Rendering the JSP is the last
>thing it does during action execution, after type conversion, after
>validation. It's not going to execute the JSP that requires the list
>unless there's an execution path that requires it--so there's either a
>type conversion/validation error, or you explicitly send it to that
>JSP before initializing the list.

I want to believe that what you are saying is true, but I cannot find
evidence of it. I am controlling for all variables being constant with the
only change being populating the list. If the list is populated, then
there are no errors and no validation errors. If I don't populate the
list, then I get the noted exception. As I said, all variables are the
same - I submit the same field values, all the code is the same (except
the list populating), etc. Therefore, I have to conclude that there are no
validation errors and no conversion errors and what pages I send to at
what time is correct. I even made the "input" page a copy containing a
<h1> to indicate that I'm on the error page. I never see this one (unless
I purposely have a validation error).

Thanks for all of your effort in considering this.