Cheers for replies, I now understand how tika developers intended
tika-server should be used but for the custom code we have written we need
to use a few classes that only live in tika-server.

For Jackson I've done that as a seperate pull request.

tika-server restructure
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1868
https://github.com/apache/tika/pull/75

Jackson upgrade;