On 02/17/2011 04:50 PM, Charles Bearden wrote:
On 02/16/2011 10:21 AM, James Carman wrote:
Did you start up eclipse with the "-clean" option to make sure it
re-initializes everything? That combination works for me.

I'm using Eclipse Helios for Java SR1
(eclipse-java-helios-SR1-linux-gtk) on an Ubuntu 10.10 workstation.

I think the problem was that I was trying to manage the plugins manually
after having installed them from the update site and then uninstalled
them. It looks like once you install plugins from an update site, you'll
have a very hard time managing them manually the way you might think you
should be able to because a good deal of info about them remains in the
eclipse config files.

Also, when you copy plugin files manually into the plugins subdir and
start eclipse with the '-clean' option, they don't show up in the
Installed Software tab of the "What's already installed" dialogue,
though the plugins do show up in the Plugins tab of that dialogue.

If, once I use the UIMA Eclipse update site to install the plugins, I
either avoid managing the plugins manually, or I clean out all traces of
UIMA metadata from the various corners:

./artifacts.xml
./configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/*/content.xml
./configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/*/artifacts.xml
./configuration/org.eclipse.update/platform.xml
./features/org.apache.uima.*

everything seems to work.

Thanks,
Chuck

Also confusing is that when I uninstall the UIMA plugins through the Installed Software tab of the Install New Software -> What is already installed dialog box, the jar files remain in the plugins subdir after a restart, and they are still loaded by Eclipse. The component descriptor editors still work, e.g., and they are listed in the Plugins tab of the Install New Software -> What is already installed dialog.

Not hard to work around, but I let myself make several false inferences about how the setup works based on a partial understanding of these behaviors.

Chuck