On 02/18/2011 11:05 AM, Tong Fin wrote:
Hi Chuck,
 > I'm updating Eclipse with the new UIMA 2.3.1 SDK plugins,
 > but I notice that they conflict with the UIMA-AS 2.3.0
 > deployment descriptor editor plugin.

How you detect the "conflict" ? By looking at the "About Eclipse >
Installion Details > Configuration " ? Or something else ? What error
message ?

When I was still seeing it, it arose when Eclipse wouldn't let me install the AS 2.3.0 deployment descriptor editor because the 2.3.0 runtime wasn't present. The message appeared in one of the dialogs that is part of the "install new software" process in Eclipse. I didn't make a note of the exact message, and frankly, now that I understand a little better how Eclipse tracks what is installed, I'm inclined to think that I caused the problem when I deleted the 2.3.0 SDK plugins from the plugins subdir without cleaning up the various XML files where their presence was recorded.

I wanted to try out the 2.3.1 SDK plugins, and I think I was still pointing at the incubating update site, so I couldn't update to the 2.3.1 plugins through the usual update mechanism. I removed the plugins from the Eclipse plugins subdir by hand and copied the 2.3.1 plugins there from my 2.3.1 uimaj install, thinking Eclipse would just do the right thing, as it ostensibly does when you copy plugins into the plugins subdir. Then I tried to use the update site to get the 2.3.0 AS plugin, and that failed, but not for the reason I thought at the time. I now think it failed because I had removed the plugins but not their entries in the various config files, e.g.

  ./configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/*/*/*/content.xml
  ./configuration/org.eclipse.update/platform.xml
  ./artifacts.xml

Now that I'm using the correct UIMA update site, and now that I cleaned out the UIMA component entries from the config files & started fresh, it works.

Now everybody can benefit from my mistakes :-)

Thanks,
Chuck

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Charles Bearden
<charles.f.bear...@uth.tmc.edu <mailto:charles.f.bear...@uth.tmc.edu>>
wrote:

    Hi all,

    I'm updating Eclipse with the new UIMA 2.3.1 SDK plugins, but I
    notice that they conflict with the UIMA-AS 2.3.0 deployment
    descriptor editor plugin. My intent is to implement AS soon, so I'm
    thinking that I'd be better off reverting to the 2.3.0 SDK & plugins
    so that I can use the deployment descriptor editor.

    Any recommendations? Any work-arounds?

    Thanks,
    Chuck Bearden
    Chuck Bearden
    Programmer Analyst IV
    The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
    School of Biomedical Informatics
    Email: charles.f.bear...@uth.tmc.edu
    <mailto:charles.f.bear...@uth.tmc.edu>
    Phone: <tel:713.500.9672>713.500.9672 <tel:713.500.9672>