Hum, I had totally forgotten about this code by Philipp W.

But anyway, I recently looked into the problem as well [1]
and I wasn't particularly happy because whatever I could
come up with required client code to call CAS.release()
explicitly - at least when trying to solve the problem
in JCasIterable.

Addressing that only on the level of SimplePipeline
may be more straight-forward. I'll look into that as well.

Btw. feel free to comment on the issue if you have further
insight or suggestions (or patches ;) ).

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-3470