One other thought (probably not well-formed...):

You could use 1 CAS, but multiple views.

Each view can have its own subject-of-analysis.  This might not work for you,
though, as you might want the original subject-of-analysis in order to preserve
the "offset" values for annotations' begin and end features.

Each view can have its own set of indexes.  This would enable you to index just
the annotations that were "in scope".  But this might not work for you if the
Feature Structures themselves had references beyond the "scope" - they would be
valid and you might want them to be invalid or null or ??

With multiple views, it is possible to have cross-view references as values in
the CAS, in case that was of interest.

Perhaps this might be something to consider.

-Marshall