Thomas,

On 16.07.2015, at 22:56, Thomas Ginter <thomas.gin...@utah.edu> wrote:

> There is an API in UIMA for generating Analysis Engine Descriptors as well as
> Aggregates and Type System descriptions.  I use that API to generate the xml
> descriptor at runtime after the configuration has been completed.  I wrote my
> own logic to track the delegates of an Aggregate descriptor in order to
> propagate updates to/from delegates to allow the user to dynamically specify
> Analysis Engine parameters.  I also merged the scale out parameters for
> UIMA-AS into the Analysis Engine object for ease of configuration.

we're using the plain UIMA APIs for AED and friends in uimaFIT too - those APIs
being not too user-friendly and XML being a pain was the major motivation to
come up with uimaFIT. However, uimaFIT doesn't aspire to drive UIMA AS, just to
make the core UIMA descriptors easier to handle.

> In addition I wrote my own code to generate the deployment descriptor from
> the programmatic parameters provided.  The resulting XML is what the
> framework uses to generate the Spring Bean file you mentioned.

So what you say confirms my findings. I never found a corresponding API for
UIMA deployment descriptors in UIMA AS. It would have been great if UIMA AS had
provided at least some basic API for deployment descriptors parallel to what
UIMA offers for engines and aggregates.

> That being said the existing API definitely has a learning curve which was
> part of the motivation for creating Leo.

Same for uimaFIT ;)

Cheers,

-- Richard