Hi Sean,

there have been occasional hands-on tutorials that I know of, one of which are
linked here:

  https://uima.apache.org/gscl13.html

That's one that Peter (Ruta) and I (uimaFIT/DKPro Core) did IRL.

But I have seen slides here and there on Google from other tutorials
from conferences and also I believe also university lecture slides
that make use of UIMA, e.g.

  http://de.slideshare.net/otisg/uima
  http://www3.cs.stonybrook.edu/~pfodor/courses/CSE392/L1-UIMA.pdf

( For me, the two links above currently don't work... but I think this is rather
due to my network connection, not due to them being offline... I hope ;) )

Cheers,

-- Richard