Erik, thanks. This is more clear what you are trying to accomplish. First,
there are no plans to retire the CPE. It is supported and I don't know of
any plans to retire it. The only issue is ongoing development. My efforts
are focused on extending and improving UIMA-AS.

I don't have an answer yet how to handle the CPE crash scenario with
respect to batching and subsequent restart from the last known good batch.
Seems like some coordination would be needed to avoid redoing the whole
collection after a crash. Its been awhile since I've looked at the CPE.
Will take a look and see what is possible if anything.

There is another Apache UIMA project called DUCC which stands for
Distributed Uima Cluster Computing. From your email it looks like you have
a cluster of machines available. Here is a quick description of DUCC:

DUCC is a Linux cluster controller designed to scale out any UIMA pipeline
for high throughput collection processing jobs as well as for low latency
real-tme applications. Building on UIMA-AS, DUCC is particularly well
suited to run large memory Java analytics in multiple threads in order to
fully utilize multicore machines. DUCC manages the life cycle of all
processes deployed across the cluster, including non-UIMA processes such as
tomcat servers or VNC sessions.

 You can find more info on this here:
https://uima.apache.org/doc-uimaducc-whatitam.html

In UIMA-AS batching is an application concern. I am a bit fuzzy on
implementation so perhaps someone else can comment how to implement
batching and how to handle errors. You can use a CasMultipler and a custom
FlowController to manage CASes and react to errors.The UIMA-AS service can
take an input CAS representing your batch, pass it on to the CasMultiplier,
generate CASes for each piece of work and deliver results to the
CasConsumer with a FlowController in the middle orchestrating the flow. I
defer to application deployment experts to provide you with more detail.

Jerry