Dear Bonnie,

are you talking about the clinical trial XML format used by ClinicalTrials.
<http://clinicaltrials.org/>gov by any chance?
If so, I did create a UIMA reader for these data. Its not perfect but perhaps
enough for your purposes and also you might want to enhance it.
Please let me know if you would be interested in that, I did not get around to
make it publicly available yet but could do so quickly.

To answer the general question to the best of my knowledge:
There is no such thing as a general XML reader built-in into the UIMA
framework. For all non-trivial formats, a specific reader is necessary. This
also holds true with regard to the employed type system.
That being said, there are UIMA readers that try to serve as a general XML
reading facility, e.g. the “XML Reader” from our lab (JULIELab,
https://github.com/JULIELab/jcore-base/tree/master/jcore-xml-reader
<https://github.com/JULIELab/jcore-base/tree/master/jcore-xml-reader>).
However, in my experience XML inputs come in a lot of different forms which
might often not be suitable to a generic approach which is why I wrote quite a
few UIMA readers for specific XML formats in the past.

Hope that helps,

Erik