The fact that validation is not returrning true should be the first
indication as to why you are not getting the value expected back.

ObservationCollectionDocument
ocd=ObservationCollectionDocument.Factory.parse(new File("DataArray.xml"));
List errors = new LinkedList();
System.out.println(ocd.validate(error));

//iterate list and find out what the validation problems are with the
instance.

HTH
-jacobd